ABOUT O+ FESTIVAL, NORTH ADAMS
By exchanging the art of medicine for the medicine of art, O+ (pronounced “O positive”) empowers communities to take control of their collective wellbeing.
On Friday and Saturday, May 10-11, 2019, North Adams will host the first O+ North Adams festival of art, music and wellness. O+ is a cultural and wellness organization that supports the health of underinsured artists and musicians through festivals at which they exchange artmaking and performances for wellness services. O+ helps strengthen community wellbeing with Narcan and CPR trainings, expos of local health and wellness-related businesses and nonprofits, cycling events, healing art classes, mural tours, healthcare forums, and neighborhood dinners. More information here.
O+ NORTH ADAMS is now accepting submissions for its 2019 festival to transform the city into a site-specific public art experience. For the inaugural year, the festival's focus is on the theme of "Home". The focus is on place, specifically the history and culture of our area, 01247. What is home?
Artists, creatives, art educators, community members, et al. are invited to submit a proposal for an installation, event, workshop, art performance, happening, etc., which will take place at this year’s festival in exchange for access to healthcare in the O+ Artists’ Clinic.
Please note: this call is for art-related programming and projects other than murals. Are you a visual artist who would like to submit a proposal for a mural? Submit here! Are you primarily musical (i.e. a musician, band, sound-based performance)? Please submit here!
- Contact information (name, email address, phone number, physical address)
- Written statement detailing your proposed art-related program along with an outline that stipulates how the program will engage the community with respect to the mission of O+ Festival. (min. 200 words)
- Written statement outlining special requirements for the proposed project such as access to electricity, WiFi, indoor/outdoor space, access to water, lighting, etc.
- Written statement as to why you want to participate in the O+ North Adams Festival (min. 50 words)
- Short bio/artist profile (50-100 words—if selected, this information will be used for press and promotion, examples here)
- Five images of past work demonstrating a creative approach that aligns with your proposal (optional, only if relevant)
- Current CV (or resume) and artist statement, highlighting qualifications relevant to social practice as well as mural design/public art (optional)
- Website and social media links (optional)
This call is open to anyone who has an idea for an art-related program. However, please note that priority will be given to local residents living within 60 miles of North Adams, MA and/or those who have demonstrated experience in managing a creative community project.
If accepted, the North Adams O+ Festival is able to provide the participants with access to the Artists' Clinic and festival and free meals from the green room. Please note: The mission of the festival is to deliver care to participating artists and musicians in the Artists' Clinic. We strongly encourage any applicant to consider whether going to the clinic is something they will be motivated to do before applying. Why? Read more about O+ and its mission here.
Call for proposals: November 15, 2018-January 5, 2019
Review submissions: January 6-19, 2019
Notification of selected proposals: January 23, 2019
Confirmation of participation: February 6, 2019
Final program description due: March 1, 2019
O+ Festival (and access to wellness clinic): May 10-11, 2019
ABOUT THE SELECTION COMMITTEE
The North Adams O+ Art Committee is made up of four members: Ashley Strazzinski, Glenda Matos-Carter, Julia Dixon, and Michelle Daly. More information about the O+ team can be found here. Questions? Email Ashley Strazzinski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We eagerly anticipate your submissions!
The O+ NORTH ADAMS Art Committee
HAVE QUESTIONS? Want to participate, volunteer, and/or support O+ North Adams in other ways? Email us! email@example.com